Monday, November 30, 2009

Track your citation data with "Tenurometer" (maybe)

According to "Tenurometer," a new site that provides citation data for researchers, my publications are more widely cited than those of Colin Renfew or Kent Flannery! Wow, what an ego-boost! Closer examination, however suggests that I am being attributed publications by many authors named "ME Smith," in many disciplines. Oh well. I wonder if I can fool my dean with these "data." Tenurometer uses citation data from Google Scholar. When searching for my own publications on Tenurometer, I can isolate them without much difficulty (using search terms, and then manually weeding out papers from other ME Smiths). But when the program constructs comparisons within disciplines, it must take ALL the ME Smith papers. When my citation data seemed too high, I added Renfrew and Flannery, and found that I was ahead of those guys! Oh well, my proper place in the citations hierarchy should be quite a bit lower.

If you want to try this program, here is part of the email that I got through Steven Harnad's Open Access listserv:

Dear colleagues,

Please forgive the wide distribution of this announcement. We write to introduce a new social tool to facilitate citation analysis and help evaluate the impact of an author's publications:

http://tenurometer.indiana.edu/

Tenurometer provides a smart interface to make Google Scholar more powerful, convenient, and easy to use. Unlike Publish or Perish, Tenurometer is not a standalone application; it is a browser extension, so it can be used on any computer with a Firefox browser.

There is a twist. By using Tenurometer you help tag authors and contribute to a social database of annotations, associating authors, papers, and disciplines. We plan to make this data publicly available for research purposes. All you do is use Tenurometer for your own purposes, and submit one or more discipline tags when you query.

Statistics from the annotations are available on the Tenurometer website.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.