2005 Five Reasons to Promote Open Access and Five Roads to Accomplish it in Social and Cultural Science. Social Science Research Network, Working Paper Series.
Here is a summary of the main points:
Five Reasons to Promote Open Access:
- Facilitating the advancement of knowledge claims.
- Enabling globally inclusive scholarly communication.
- Accounting for the rise of comparative and trans-national research.
- Increasing public visibility and enhancing impact for teaching and learning.
- Opening an innovative space for publishing, peer review and scholarly exchanges.
Five Roads Towards Open Access:
- Start an open access journal and give preference to submission to open access journals.
- Deposit your papers in a disciplinary or institutional open access e-print repository.
- Assert your moral rights as author and retain the copyright when you publish.
- Work to ensure lifelong access for university alumni to electronic libraries.
- Help to spread discounted and free access in low-income countries.