Friday, August 3, 2007

Peer Review

I just read a useful paper on peer review in archaeology in the January 2007 SAA Archaeological Record:

Lanata, José Luis, Mark Aldenderfer, and Michael A. Jochim
The Peer-Review Process for American Antiquity and Latin American Antiquity. SAA Archaeological Record January 2007:12-15.

Yes, I know its 6 months old, but I am only now starting to catch up on journals and such after fieldwork in Mexico from January to July. I did a little checking, and there are quite a few good resources on peer review on the internet, quite a change from the situation when I was a grad student and then new PhD and had trouble finding good information on professional practices in archaeology. Here are a couple of sources to check:

Kris Hirst has a nice discussion on her site:

The Wikipedia even has a very good discussion of peer review in general:

(Why can’t they get good entries on really important topics like the Aztecs?)

My primary reference was always this book, which is still very good due its continuing updated editions:

Luey, Beth
Handbook for Academic Authors. 3rd ed. Cambridge University Press, New York.

I recommend Luey to any young academic (grad student, junior faculty); she give very useful information on journals, book publishers, editing, etc.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.